One of my favorite foods is chicken pot pie. There is just something so delicious about eating all the veggies, then the meat, potatoes, and crust together afterwards. Ok, so maybe I am a bit OCD. The point is, chicken pot pie is delicious. I have had a problem with the cost and ingredients that come with many of the store varieties of chicken pot pie. I decided it was time to make my own. Check out this easy home made Chicken Pot Pie recipe! How do you eat your chicken pot pie? Do you have an order or do you just dig in?
Easy Home Made Chicken Pot Pie
You do not have to buy the brands pictured. Those just happened to be on sale this week. Grab what you find on sale and what works best for your family.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – 2 cups cubed
- Mixed Vegetables – 2 cups.
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Pie Crust – I bought mine. If you make your own, please send me a great recipe. I haven’t mastered pie crusts yet.
- Potatoes – 1 cup cubed
- Chicken Broth – 4 cups
- Cream of Chicken Soup – 2 cans
How to make the Easy Home Made Chicken Pot Pie
- Combine chicken, vegetables, salt, pepper, chicken broth, cream of chicken, and potatoes in a pot.
- Simmer while lining your pie pan with a pie crust. You don’t want to simmer for too long as you are not using this time to cook the ingredients.
- Separate out half of the mixture. – Half of this mixture can either go into a pie crust to freeze for the future or into a ziplog bag to freeze for making a pie in the future.
- Fill your pie crust with the remaining mixture. – Make sure not to overfill it. I know it sounds crazy but you can in fact overfill a chicken pot pie.
- Slice 4 slits into the top of your pie. – This gives your steam the ability to vent from the pie.
- Wrap pie edges with foil – I read about this online and tried it out. The claim was that it would prevent it from burning and I have to say it worked really well.
- Bake at 425 for 37 minutes. Don’t ask me why it’s 37 and not 35 or 40. I can’t explain it. It just works.
- Serve and enjoy.
Looking for more?