As you may know I am working to redo C’s room into a Lego theme. Because money is tight I am trying to do a lot of projects to give him an awesome room without an overwhelming price tag. When my friend offer me this old cigar box I knew exactly what needed to happen with it. It was time to re-purpose a cigar box. This box screamed Lego Guy Container to me.
What you will need:
- Cigar box – You can either snag one on Amazon for around $6 or you can get one from a thrift store.
- Acrylic Paint – I used blue and red. You can really use any colors you want.
- Gold Sharpie
- Mod Podge
- Time – This project involves letting things dry over a certain period of time. You will not finish this in one night.
- Remove all stickers – I found that rubbing alcohol seems to be best for this.
- Paint your box. – I used 3 coats on the inside and outside. I recommend letting it dry between each painting for at least 30 minutes. IF not you will end up with streaking in the paint.
- Add your lettering – I highly recommend getting a stencil if you are after a more even look than the one I did.
- Trace the border of the letter and wording in Gold Sharpie.
- Coat with Mod Podge. – I recommend a thin coat. Make sure to leave no clumps as they will dry that way.
- Let sit for 24 hours – If you don’t feel like it is shiny enough, add a second coat of mod podge and leave it for an additional 24 hours.
- Fill with Lego Guys and enjoy. – Mine is not full be any means but this could hold MANY Lego guys.