Do you have a reader in the house? R has devoured the entire Harry Potter book series this year and now she is reading them again! When I was making C his Pirate tote I decided R needed her own tote so I made her this DIY Harry Potter Book Tote. Don’t worry. It’s really simple and the Harry Potter fan in your house is sure to love it! You could even buy the books for Christmas and use this as the gift bag they come in!
Last week I talked about how expectations can steal peace from homeschooling. This week I am going to share a bit about how clutter and chaos can steal our peace. You see, I kept fighting with the messy house and getting more and more stressed. Because I was stressed the kids were stressed. That’s when I realized that my problem wasn’t just mess. It was about the clutter and the chaos of the house. When I stopped and looked around I realized we just had too much stuff. More than that we had too much stuff that was not organized.
Clutter and Chaos
So what do you do when you know the problem is clutter and chaos? For us the answer has a few parts.
Clean the house –The first thing we did was a big family day cleaning. This helped us to be able to see what was mess and what was clutter.
De-clutter – After doing a simple cleaning on the house we started to de-clutter. This meant filling boxes with things we wouldn’t use and either taking them out for donations or storing them in the shed if we were emotionally attached to an item.
We have loaded up countless boxes so far and we still find things we don’t need. It has completely changed the fell of our household. Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you de-clutter your home.
- Do I use it? – Is there an item you don’t use? Is that item taking up space that could be used for something else?
- Do I need it? – One of the big clutter areas in our life is clothing. We have way too much and some of it doesn’t even fit. I put a box where I fold laundry. As I find things that don’t fit I threw them in the box instead of sending them back to bedrooms.
- Does it work? Can I fix it? – If it is an item that is broken and I have “meant to” fix it for a long time and never made it a priority it may be time to pass it on.
- Can this provide needs? – Some items can be sold to bring extra income into the house. Looking at items and deciding if they can provide for a need can change whether you still want that item or not. There is also the question of whether that item can meet a need for someone else. Is it worth storing an item you rarely use that could bless someone now?
Christmas is just around the corner. I know I am working on some last minute gifts. If you are trying to figure out last minute gifts this is the list for you. Check out 10 last minute D.I.Y. Christmas gifts to finish off your Christmas list.
- D.I.Y. Sock Snowman from Addicted 2 Fashion – These are so adorable. Another benefit the poster doesn’t mention is that you can heat them in the microwave and use them as a hand warmer.
- D.I.Y Personalized Cocoa Mugs from Design Mom – If you are lucky enough to see cold weather where you are these personalized mugs would make a great gift. They look pretty simple and they are absolutely adorable.
- Re-Purposed Cigar Box. – Do you have a Lego fan in the house? This great D.I.Y. is a last minute project that is sure to make them smile.
- Cupcake Bath Bombs from Turtle Taylor – This adorable project would be fun to make and gift. You could even add a gift tag saying the recipient is due for a day of relaxing.
- Gluten Free Gift Basket from Mom Blog – Are you trying to put something together for the gluten free family member? Why not try out this great gluten free basket idea? There are tons of ideas here for what to put in it.
- D.I.Y. Stuffed Animal Cape – We made this cape in a little over an hour. If you are looking for a last minute gift this is perfect for the little super hero in your life.
- Cutting Board Recipe from Nutfield Genealogy – I personally love this gift! It is such a sweet way to share a recipe and a gift at the same time.
- 3 Ingredient Lavender Lotion Bars from Essentially Eclectic – These all natural beauties would make a great teacher gift or a gift for the woman in your life.
- D.I.Y. Christmas Ornaments– These beauties are so simple to make and cost almost nothing to put together. In fact, my 8 year old is making them for grandparents if that tells you how simple they are.
- D.I.Y. Cookie Plate– Are you looking for a fun way to give cookies as a gift? Why not personalize these simple D.I.Y. cookie plates?