As you know I decided the month of October would be a great month to Beat The Budget! However, I am sure there are many of you who say the following, “I always end up in trouble so why bother with a budget? I don’t need a budget to tell me I am broke. Why should I have a budget?” What if doing a budget could find you money you didn’t know you had? It’s true. When you make a budget you gain money back! How? Let’s talk a bit about it.
What is a Budget?
Before I tell you what a budget is, let me tell you what it’s not!
- A budget is not a strict rule of order that can never be changed!
- A budget is not a quick way to magically fix your money.
- A budget is not always easy or fun to write.
I will promise you this. I have been there! However, having a budget really can help. If you put it down on paper and see where the money is going it can help you answer these questions.
- Is there anything in my budget I don’t need? – This may mean you have to make some hard choices. You might have to cut cable. You may have to eat less of a favorite food. (For me it’s Kemp’s Moose Tracks Frozen Yogurt! Love it but don’t need it!)
- Is there somewhere I could be saving money? – Maybe you need to learn to coupon. Maybe it’s time to call all of your companies and ask about a better package? Could you do multiple errands on one trip out to save gas?
- Am I broke because of Overdrafts? – My bank charges a hefty $35 for each overdraft. This number can add up pretty quick. Would you have more if you were able to keep from getting overdrawn?