I have always planned to homeschool my children. I didn’t plan for the stress that would come with looking for the curriculum though. One had the right math but the wrong science. Another one was too strong with sight words and not phonetically sound enough. After attending Homeschool Convention I found some great ways to decide which curriculum to go with.
Here are a couple things to keep in mind as you select your curriculum this year.
- Keep in mind how your child learns. – If your child learns a lot with flashcards look for curriculum that includes them. If your child is hands on keep that in mind. You do not need to buy a curriculum because someone else says it’s the best. Buy what helps your child learn.
- Have a plan for the School Year – There are a million different curriculum options out there. Knowing what direction you want to go will save you time, money, and stress.
- Bring a list of questions – Sometimes it is hard to remember what you wanted to ask when you are in the moment. Make a list and ask from it.
- There is no perfect curriculum – You do not have to find one curriculum that will cover your child’s entire school year. You can mix and match to find what fits your child best.
- Know how much structure you want – If you want something that tells you what to do each day with detailed lesson plans, keep that in mind. Some curriculum options include this while others offer you a take it as it comes approach. Knowing what you want will save you time and money.
Homeschooling is an exciting and rewarding adventure. Don’t let curriculum scare you!