This is an old post from when R was 3. I thought I would re-purpose it for you. I hope you enjoy making gourd people this fall. They are a simple fun idea for children. This is also great if you are allergic to the insides of gourds.
- We picked up this great bag of gourds of different shapes at Wal Mart but you can find gourds many places.
- Start by letting your child design a face for their gourd person. We used markers but you could easily use paints or stickers.
- R used a variety of small buttons to “make it look like a shirt.” Use your imagination dressing your gourd person. You could also use felt to make clothes if you wanted.
- Glue them on with traditional glue or a hot glue gun.
- R colored on the clothing for her gourd person. If you would prefer to use felt that would make a neat outfit as well.
- Glue your large button to the bottom of the wood spools. These will be your legs. You can color them in advance if you want the look of pants.
- For our arms we used paper that R colored. I highly recommend hot glue for this step. They kept falling off.
- Glue your legs to the bottom of your gourd person.
- Add a small hat or use yarn to make hair.