When we were homeschooling breakfast was fairly simple. We would get up and eat what we wanted. Since the kids made the choice to go to school things have definitely changed. I have had to make sure that whatever I have can be prepped in a hurry. At first we did a lot of processed foods but I just couldn’t justify the expense. I put together this easy breakfast sandwich recipe as a way to save us time and money.
As I have started my new job I have had to adjust some of how we plan things around here. I have returned to meal planning. The kids have also been taking more responsibility around the house. One of the areas I love to let them help out is with breakfast. That’s where this time saving oatmeal recipe comes into play. This is a great way to save you some time in the mornings.
Time Saving Oatmeal Recipe
Oatmeal Packet Recipe
Both of my children love oatmeal. However, I don’t love all the additives that they have. I wanted to try something different from store bought packets and give R a chance to work on measurements. I only had her make one type of oatmeal so that she would focus on one set of measurements at a time. Because I had her make enough to last the month you will see a large ingredient list here. I have also put together a great list of additional recipes at the bottom of this post filly with other DIY oatmeal packets!
What you will need
- 2 pounds Quick Oats – I used the Wal Mart brand that costs 1.84.
- 1 pound dried Cranberries
- 1 bag Brown Sugar
- 1 Container of Cinnamon
- Measuring cups/spoons – 1/2 cup, 1 tablespoon, 1/2 tablespoon, 1/8 tablespoon
- Start by putting all of your ingredients into a bowl. Line them up assembly line style to make it easy for your child.
- Give your child the ingredients list – Ingredients: 1/2 cup of Oatmeal, 1/2 tablespoon of Brown Sugar, 1 tablespoon Cranberries, 1/8 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- Have your child match the correct measuring cup or spoon with the item. – For R I had her place each one in the bowl it went with.
- Have your child scoop one of each item into their bag.
Oatmeal Recipes from other great Bloggers!
12 Deliciuos Flavors from The Yummy Life
Apricot Peaches and Cream from Cooking With Books
Blueberry Lemon with What to Do With Lemons
Cinnamon Raisin from Table for Two, please
Cranberry Ginger from The Year in Food
I Love Apples Flavor from A Little Yum
Protein Packs from Bubbly Nature Creations
Spiced Vanilla Sugar from Chef Tess Bakeresse
Vegan Fruit and Nut Oatmeal from The View from Great Island